What would this bill do?
This bill would require warning labels for sugar sugar-sweetened beverages in advertisements, restaurant menus and any city stores that sell those products in the City of Baltimore. If passed, Baltimore City would become the second jurisdiction in the country to issue this warning. The label reads “WARNING: DRINKING BEVERAGES WITH ADDED SUGAR(S) CONTRIBUTES TO TOOTH DECAY, OBESITY, AND DIABETES. THIS MESSAGE IS FROM THE BALTIMORE CITY HEALTH DEPARTMENT.”
Why is this bill necessary?
- Most consumers have no idea how harmful sugar-sweetened beverages really are. Warning labels would educate the consumer on the damaging effects it can cause.
- Overwhelming science shows that liquid sugar (SSBs) is a unique driver in today’s skyrocketing diabetes epidemic.
- The leading contributors to diabetes in the world disease are sugar-sweetened beverages.
- Overwhelming the liver with sugar, results in converting it into fat.
- Baltimoreans have a right to know what is going into their bodies before purchasing and/or consuming sugar-sweetened beverages.
- Sugar is habit-forming and can lead to addictive behavior in relation to your diet.